SCG / FAMOOS / Home
This is the home page for all FAMOOS related material
maintained by the Software Composition Group (SCG) in Berne.
FAMOOS is a name referring to the ESPRIT Project 21975. FAMOOS
is an acronym for Framework-based Approach for Mastering
Object-Oriented Software Evolution.
The goal of the FAMOOS Esprit project is to support the
evolution of first generation object-oriented software, built
with current analysis and design methods and programming
languages, to frameworks -- standard application architectures
and component libraries which support the construction of
numerous system variants in specific domains. Methods and tools
will be developed to analyse and detect design problems with
respect to flexibility in object-oriented legacy systems and to
transform these systems efficiently into frameworks based on
- FAMOOS is a 3-year project that started at September 1996
and ended in September 1999. The project is set up with
- The Software Composition Group (SCG) within the
University of Bern (UOB)
- A so-called "methodology provider", i.e. a
partner that is expected to devise the reengineering
methodology. We provided the information you are
reading right now.
The SCG is located in Bern - Switzerland.
- Forschungszentrum Informatik (FZI)
- The second methodology provider in the project. Located
in Karlsruhe, Germany.
- Daimler-Benz (DAB) & Nokia
- Provide us with the legacy systems that serve as CASE
Daimler-Benz is from Germany, while Nokia is from
- Sema Group (SEM)
& TakeFive Software (TAK)
- Provide us with Audit and SNiFF: useful tools in
reengineering object-oriented legacy systems.
Sema is from Madrid in Spain, while TakeFive is from
Salzburg in Austria.
This site contains FAMOOS related material maintained by the
Software Composition group in Bern. We refer you to the official FAMOOS
WWW-pages maintained by the Sema Group for more information
about the project and its results.
For your convenience, we have a two page leaflet about the
project in both postcript as well as ASCII format.
There is a more technical paper
(postcrip format) where we list the problems we want to
tackle and the initial approach we want to apply.
(In Alphabethical order)
- ESEC-FSE'97 Workshop on Object-Oriented
- All material on the Workshop organised with the ESEC-FSE'97
- ESEC-FSE'99 Workshop on Object-Oriented
- All material on the Workshop organised with the ESEC/FSE'99
- FAMOOS in 2 pages (postcript)
- A short (2 page) non-technical description of the FAMOOS
project. These pages are also available in ASCII format.
- FAMOOS Reengineering Handbook
- The place where to download the public releases of the
- FAMIX (FAMOOS Information Exchange
- The various releases of a specification of a model for a
common interchange format to be used by the FAMOOS tool
- A list of all FAMOOS related publications produced by the
FAMOOS team in Berne.
- Reengineering Patterns page
- A collection of candidate reengineering patterns
applicable in the context of object-oriented
- A continously updated list of resources containing
pointers to on-line material relevant to software
- "Using Restructuring Transformations to Reengineer
- A paper defining the scope of the FAMOOS project based on
an overview of the case-studies.
[HTML | Compressed Postcript |