How to install Parallels and Windows on Mac
Many thanks to Markus for his help and patience, without him Paralles would not run on my machine (and you would not have this howto) — akuhn, january 2007
- Go to http://www.parallels.com
- Go to the trial version of 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' (Build 1970 this was for me)
- Skip step 1, as we have a registration key
- Download the DMG package
- Run the installer
- The activation key is in https://www.iam.unibe.ch/scg/svn_repos/scg/SystemAdministration/SCGSoftwareInventory.xls
- Break Parallels installation and get a copy of windows.
- Go to http://msdn40.e-academy.com/unibe_gesamter (not http://msdn40.e-academy.com/ifiuam_bern/ )
- Log in with your uni account
- You will get a key for windows XP there buying the free product
- The windows ISO is in afp://scgresources.unibe.ch/scg/Resources/Software/INSTALLERS/Windows/
- Burn a bootable disk image from the ISO using the Disk Utility application
- Finish with Parallels installation
- Be patience while Windows is installing
- Shut down windows, power off the virtual machine
- Change memory to some larger amount
- Start virtual machine and windows
- Go to http://www.avast.com
- Download and register the 'FREE Avast! 4 Home Edition'
- Restart windows
...and there you are!
Remark: on restarting for the first Parallels bothers you with registration, just ignore, registration is not the same as activation and you are activated.
NB: In the latest version of Parallels (unlike previous versions), if you follow the above procedure, Parallels Tools are automatically installed during Windows installation.
Add a windows user
- Go to Preferences and add a user
- Run 'control userpasswords2' and turn on the logon screen