Most of our SCG Publications are available in electronic form as postscript, HTML or PDF files.
Pharo by Example is an open-source book about the Pharo development environment for the classic Smalltalk-80 programming language. This book updates the earlier Squeak by Example to the Pharo fork of Squeak, and adds new chapters on the Seaside web application development framework, and on practical use of reflection in Pharo.
Object-Oriented Reengineering Patterns is an open-source re-release of the book originally published by Morgan-Kaufmann and now out-of-print. This book collects and distills successful techniques in planning a reengineering project, reverse-engineering, problem detection, migration strategies and software redesign. The PDF can be downloaded freely, or you may purchase an inexpensive print-on-demand softcover volume.
The following SCG publications, theses and demos have received awards:
- IWST 2022 Best Paper Award (1st prize) for Can We Automatically Generate Class Comments in Pharo? by Pooja Rani, Alexandre Bergel, Lino Hess, Timo Kehrer and Oscar Nierstrasz
- Joint Computer Science Alumni Association Award for Pascal Gerig's Bachelor thesis, Investigating Phishing on Demand
- Joint Computer Science Alumni Association Award for Marc-Andrea Tarnutzer's MSc thesis, Web Communication Analysis of Android Applications
- Joint Computer Science Alumni Association Award for Mario Hess's Bachelor thesis, Pervasive Visualization in Immersive Augmented Reality for Software Performance Monitoring
- VISSOFT 2018 Distinguished Paper Award for Overcoming Issues of 3D Software Visualization through Immersive Augmented Reality by Leonel Merino, Alexandre Bergel and Oscar Nierstrasz
- Joint Computer Science Alumni Association Award for Mario Kaufmann's MSc thesis, Reproducible moldable interactions
- Faculty Prize for Manuel Leuenberger's MSc thesis, Nullable Method Detection — Inferring Method Nullability From API Usage
- VISSOFT 2016 Best Paper Award for Towards Actionable Visualisation in Software Development by Leonel Merino, Dr. Mohammad Ghafari and Oscar Nierstrasz
- IWST 2016 Best Paper Award (1st prize) for Optimizing Parser Combinators by Jan Kurš, Jan Vrany, Dr. Mohammad Ghafari, Mircea Lungu and Oscar Nierstrasz
- IWST 2016 Best Paper Award (2nd prize) for A Promising Approach for Debugging Remote Promises by Max Leske, Andrei Chiş and Oscar Nierstrasz
- European Smalltalk User Group 2016 Technology Innovation Award (1st prize) for Sparta by Aliaksei Syrel
- IAM Alumni prize for Max Leske's MSc thesis, Improving live debugging of concurrent threads
- SPLASH 2015 Distinguished Demo Award for GTInspector: A Moldable Domain-Aware Object Inspector by Andrei Chiş, Tudor Girba, Oscar Nierstrasz, Aliaksei Syrel
- European Smalltalk User Group 2015 Technology Innovation Award (1st prize) for GT Spotter by Aliaksei Syrel, Andrei Chiş, Tudor Girba, Juraj Kubelka and Stefan Reichhart
- Software Language Engineering (SLE) 2014 Best Student Paper Award for The Moldable Debugger: A Framework for Developing Domain-Specific Debuggers by Andrei Chiş, Tudor Girba and Oscar Nierstrasz
- European Smalltalk User Group 2014 Technology Innovation Award (1st prize) for GT Inspector by Andrei Chiş, Tudor Girba and Aliaksei Syrel
- IWST14 Best Paper Award (3rd prize) for The Moldable Inspector: A framework for domain-specific object inspection by Andrei Chiş, Tudor Girba and Oscar Nierstrasz
- EAPLS best paper award at TOOLS 2012 for Incremental Dynamic Updates with First-class Contexts by Erwann Wernli, Mircea Lungu and Oscar Nierstrasz
- European Smalltalk User Group 2012 Technology Innovation Award (1st prize) for Object-Centric Debugging by Jorge Ressia
- Faculty Prize for Camillo Bruni's MSc thesis, Optimizing Pinocchio
- IAM Alumni prize for Max Leske's Bachelor thesis, The Genesis of Pharo: The Complete History of Pharo with Git
- Faculty Prize for Lukas Renggli's PhD thesis, Dynamic Language Embedding With Homogeneous Tool Support
- IAM Alumni prize for Florian Gysin's Bachelor thesis, Trust this Code? — Improving Code Search Results through Human Trustability Factors
- ACM Student Research Competition (SRC 2010) award for Florian Gysin's Bachelor work, Improved social trustability of code search results
- Ernst Denert-Stiftung Prize for Software Engineering for Adrian Lienhard's PhD thesis, Dynamic Object Flow Analysis
- IAM Alumni prize for Camillo Bruni's Bachelor thesis, Development and Debugging of a Whole-System VM in RPython
- Faculty Prize for Dominique Matter's MSc thesis, Who Knows about That Bug? — Automatic Bug Report Assignment with a Vocabulary-Based Developer Expertise Model
- European Smalltalk User Group 2009 Technology Innovation Award (3rd prize) for Glamour by Philipp Bunge
- Faculty Prize for Marcus Denker's PhD thesis, Sub-method Structural and Behavioral Reflection
- ECOOP Distinguished Paper award for Practical Object-Oriented Back-in-Time Debugging by Adrian Lienhard, Tudor Girba and Oscar Nierstrasz
- IAM Alumni informatica08 prize for Lea Hänsenberger's Bachelor thesis, JExample
- Ernst Denert-Stiftung Prize for Software Engineering for Alexandre Bergel's PhD thesis, Classboxes — Controlling Visibility of Class Extensions.
- IAM Alumni Prize for Michael Meyer's MSc thesis, Scripting Interactive Visualizations.
- Ernst Denert-Stiftung Prize for Software Engineering for Michele Lanza's PhD thesis, Object-Oriented Reverse Engineering — Coarse-grained, Fine-grained, and Evolutionary Software Visualization.
- JMLC Best Paper Award for Classboxes: A Minimal Module Model Supporting Local Rebinding by Alexandre Bergel, Stéphane Ducasse and Roel Wuyts
- Faculty Prize for Frank Buchli's Diploma thesis, Detecting Software Patterns using Formal Concept Analysis