Mircea F. Lungu
I got my PhD from the University of Lugano, with Michele Lanza as advisor and my engineer degree from the Polytechnic University of Timişoara, with a thesis supervised by Radu Marinescu and Tudor Girba. I was as a visiting researcher at IBM TJ Watson Research Center in NY with Wim De Pauw.
My research interests are in software engineering, software evolution, ecosystem analysis, programming languages, and mobile applications.
Student Project Proposals
Here you can find several projects that are available at the moment. If you have other ideas that are related to any of these topics, feel free to contact me.
- How I Know My System — Source code improvement via gamification
- Polite for EV3 - API design for controlling the Mindstorms from Polite
- The Large Word Collider - Increasing the chance of a learner encountering his learned material
- Intelligent eBook Reader - Innovative app supporting language acquisition
|Project: Agile Software Assessment - (EUR500,000) SNF project building next generation of tool support for software evolution|
|Tool: Softwarenaut - Open source tool for monitoring software architecture evolution.|
|Infrastructure: Pangea - Parallel Infrastructure for making multi-language empirical studies in software engineering easy|
|Topic: Big Software Data - Empirical Studies of large scale software analysis|
|Paper: A quantitative study of developer needs in ecosystem context|
|Tool: The St1-PL/1 tool for PL1 Ecosystem analysis tested at Credit Suisse|
|Workshop: WEA - the Third International Workshop on Ecosystem Architectures in Dubrovnik (co-located with ECSA)|
|Language: Polite - Investigating PL syntaxes closer to natural language|
|Infrastructure: Zeeguu - Ubiquitous second language acquisition|
|Tool: Quicksilver - Infrastructure for the interactive exploration of hierarchical data sets|
|Framework: Moose - Software visualisation and analysis platform to which I and my students have been contributing since many years.|
I teach since a long time. In my 2nd year of bachelor I was already teaching the introductory programming course at a technical highschool in Timisoara, Romania. I had one student who was a prison warden during the day. Teaching him to code was awesome.
Teaching is learning, so I have been lucky to be teaching a broad range of topics until now:
- Compiler Construction,
- Concurrency Patterns,
- Introduction to Programming (two guest lectures)
- Principles of UI Design,
- Human Computer Interaction.
- Software Composition Seminar
Service to the Community
Several Swiss and international events that I organize or have recently organized are:
- The CHOOSE Forum 2012: Models vs. Services
- The 1st International Workshop on Ecosystem Architectures co-located in 2015 with ESEC/FSE.
- The Seminar on Advanced Tools and Techniques for SE at the University of Bern in July 2013.
- The CHOOSE Forum 2013: SE: Between Wishful Thinking and Thinkable Wishes
- The 2nd International Workshop on Ecosystem Architectures co-located in 2014 with ECSA.
I review for the following periodicals:
- Journal of Software Maintenance and Evolution
- Empirical Software Engineering
- Journal of Systems and Software
- Science of Computer Programming
- Foundations and Trends in Human Computer Interaction
- The Journal of Object Technology
I advised the following master (MS) and bachelor (BS) theses at the Universities of Bern (UB) and Lugano (UL):
|Maudlin Kummer||Categorising Test Smells||BS, UB|
|Dominique Rahm||HYKOMSYS: A Developer's Online Quiz||BS, UB|
|Simon Marti||Second Language Acquisition Through Free Reading and Repetition||BS, UB|
|Erik Aeschlimann||St1-PL/1: Reverse Engineering PL1 Ecosystems (WCRE paper)||MS, UB|
|Dennis Schenk||Quicksilver: A Framework for Hierarchical Data Analysis (SSE paper,thesis)||MS, UB|
|Nicole Haenni||Information Needs in Software Ecosystems (papers: WEA'13, WEA'14)||MS, UB|
|Jacopo Malnati||Developer centric analysis of SVN ecosystems (MSR paper)||MS, UL|
|Alessio Boeckmann||MARS - Modular Architecture Recommendation System||MS, UL|
|Jacopo Malnati||X-Ray - An Eclipse Plug-in for Software Visualization.||BS, UL|